Saturday, October 08, 2005

 

On Thyaga's request

My dear friend Thyaga wants me to write an entry for his blog (and if I can remember after a crazy week of assignments and company presentations) on the topic of going back to school after working for a while or something like that.

Economists say education has the signalling effect, i.e., it helps reducing information asymmetry between an employee and a potential employer. I pretty much agree with that view. But other than pure signalling aspect, I love the intellectual experience of coming back to school. Particularly, business school is the perfect place for expanding your horizon. You just learn so much in such a short time. That's probably the biggest change from work life. You do learn a lot at work too. But often you have no time to reflect and you get no time to understand the underlying principles. At school it is just the opposite. You are pontificating about strategy while being totally detached from how it is to run a real company.

Prof. Mintzberg claims that MBA education is completely flawed. He came to Sloan for a talk and embarrassed all of us with his vehement criticism of MBAs. There is some amount of truth to his assertion that MBAs learn business, but not management. We are taught different analytic techniques and how to think like a manager. But that does not make MBAs great managers. In fact lot of the so called "leadership" exercises in business school are absolutely ludicrous. I've met too many hyper-agressive MBAs who want to prove they are great in "teamwork" and "leadership" and who have absolutely no idea how to deal with people in the real world. The result is complete disasters in team projects. Too often MBAs would like to delegate the work to others and just do the packaging and presentation job at the end. Of course this is generalizing it too much, there are plenty of people with real leadership skills as well.

The notorious lack of depth amongst MBAs gets exposed in no class other than a course I'm taking in Political Economy. Few other Sloanies are taking the class. Unlike the typical "Strategy" class where hands would go up every minute and people would just blurt out some bullshit to get petty participation points, in this class the Sloan section is completely silent. The reason is simple, every class requires you to read two or three books in their entirety and the discussion is extremely deep. Typical MBA bullshit won't work there.

But that is not evidence enough that MBA education is useless. In fact a lot of people say that managers thrive because they know when to do a deep dive and when to just float in thin air. That is absolutely right--the ability to abstract is a great skill. But MBAs do need to learn to take deep dives at some point. Only a very few actually do. That may be the reason why only a very few MBAs become great leaders.

Forgetting the cynical perspective, I do enjoy my education thoroughly. Simply because MIT is such a great place to meet so many of the thought leaders--particularly in economics. And of course, MIT is a great engineering school as well. And a trip to Media Lab or other labs can get my inner nerd really excited.

Overall I'm excited about getting my degree and reducing informational asymmetry on my business skills. Come on, look at me, I'm a great business leader. Don't I've an MBA from a top school? Hoping that lot of employers take the bait.
Comments:
Thanks Chatta - I shall cross-link it from my Blog.

Great stuff!
Thyaga
 
great Chatta....
 
I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://www.juicyfruiter.blogspot.com
 
I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com
 
Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
 
hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe
 
hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?